Instructions For Your Hawley Retainers
Congratulations on completing orthodontic treatment! Please follow the important rules below to keep your beautiful smile. Taking good care of your retainers will ensure they last for many years. Not following these rules can result in broken retainers and / or shifting of teeth.
- Wear your retainers 24 hours for the first 6 months after the end of treatment. Only remove them when eating. Drinking water with the retainers is okay, but you should remove your retainers when drinking all other beverages.
- After 6 months, wear your retainers at night time only for the rest of your life. This is the only way to guarantee teeth won’t shift as we get older and our bodies continue to change!
- When removing the retainers, first apply gentle force with your fingers on the LOOPS of the retainers and on BOTH sides. Lightly unseat the retainers away from the gums. Continue applying gentle force until the retainer is away from the teeth and you can remove them with your hands. Do NOT pull the retainers on the straight wire (i.e. bow) in the front and never apply heavy force. This can result in distortion of the bow or damage to the pink acrylic material.
- When the retainers are not in your mouth, always keep them in your retainer case. Do NOT leave them on a table or fold them in a napkin. Place the retainers gently in the case. Throwing or tossing the retainers anywhere can crack them.
- Clean your retainer daily. This will only take a few seconds! Use a toothbrush, cool water, and soap. Give a gentle scrub and then rinse the retainers with water. Do NOT use any alcohol-based substances to clean the retainer- this can damage and distort the pink acrylic.
- Do NOT chew on your retainers or flick them around with your tongue. This will cause damage.
For any issues with retainers or lost retainers, please call our office immediately. Finally, please bring your retainers to ALL future appointments . Replacement of lost or broken retainers will incur a fee.
Thank you & enjoy your beautiful smile!